Under the direction of the Energy and Sustainability Manager, the Utility and Sustainability Specialist performs support functions for District-wide conservation and sustainability initiatives. Public contact is extensive, and involves College and District staff, students and administration. The Utility and Sustainability Specialist will also participate in the District-wide Sustainability Committee and act as a liaison for the Facilities team with various community stakeholders. A moderate degree of independent judgement and creativity are required to resolve many minor and occasional major problems that arise. The Utility and Sustainability Specialist can train and lead the work of interns, student assistants, and other staff as assigned. A successful candidate will have a proven track record in sustainability program and project management, a propensity for effective team work and exceptional capacity to work with limited supervision on high visibility projects and efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the duties of the classification and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed by the incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this classification.
- Provides technical support for activities and projects related to resource conservation and sustainability initiatives
- Initiates, communicates and tracks a wide range of sustainability efforts in coordination with strategic objectives
- Effectively communicates technical terms and complex programs in simple terms through various media
- Generates reports, articles, presentations and other education and outreach materials
- Conducts data analysis and thorough research to support sustainability initiatives
- Regularly updates and maintains planning documents and program accomplishments
- Develops transition plans and creates replicable systems across the District and to serve the wider Community College System
- Assists in identifying energy, water and solid waste conservation opportunities and implementing appropriate projects
- Supports Facilities Planning Maintenance and Operations’ commitment to continuous improvement, efficiency and providing premier learning environments
- Performs other related duties as assigned